Two conflicting narratives rule our family.
On the one hand, we are raising our kids with a school system where the strategic narrative is to create “job-market-ready employees”:
- Don’t make a mistake, so you prove you know.
- Follow the rules, so you conform to the norm.
- There is only one possible answer.
- Work on your own so that you can compete.
On the other hand, we are also raising our kids in a home where the strategic narrative is to live as an “impact-driven individual”:
- Make mistakes so that you can learn and succeed fast.
- Break the rules, so you create the new norm.
- There is a multitude of possible answers.
- Seek help, so you collaborate.
I don’t know if I should worry about this.