In too many companies, here is the implied job description of the storyteller:
- Works in the marketing department
- Makes sense of our cryptic strategy for us
- Helps us embellish the truth
- Works on the receiving end of the business processes that spits out obscure jargon tangled in PowerPoint boxes and arrows.
- Comes at the end of the project, when we’ve built the product already
- Filters our big bag of crappy messages and magically makes everything clear
- Makes everything sound much more compelling and inspiring
Why don’t you become the storyteller yourself?
Because, as a business leader, if creating meaning, making the strategy clear, inspiring people, and telling the truth is not in your job description, then I don’t know what kind of leader you are.